Thursday, March 13, 2014

HowTo: Spring Into It; DIY Bunting

There are not many activities I love more than a fresh room update, especially in time for spring. This time, inspiration from my British background struck, leaving me with a modern version of the Union Jack bunting that is simple to make and brightens up any room just in time for the warmer weather.

 First, gather all of your supplies. You will need triangular pieces of scrapbook paper of varying colours, string, tape, sticky tac or something else to stick to a wall that is non-damaging, and scissors.

 I used these pieces of paper from a Martha Stewart paper necklace-making kit I found in my house, but you can just cut scrapbook paper of your liking into mutiple long triangles.

Next, I chose the patterns I wanted for my bunting. I chose a dark and light blue pattern to compliment my room and then added a pop of surprise and 'springy-ness' with light orange and pink triangles. Then, you want to measure with your string the length you need it to be based on your wall, then cut it and lay out your bunting pattern on it, not attaching anything yet. 

Once you have perfected pattern and spacing for your bunting, attach each piece to the string. I folded tape over the back over the string to the front to secure my bunting. Then, you want to add one small piece of sticky tac (or whatever you are using to stick your bunting to the wall) on both ends of the bunting.

Hang up your bunting in your desired wall space and there you go! Simple decorations that will liven up your room just in time for spring. I put mine over top of my desk, because the wall was very unimaginative and drab before. Hope you all spring into this DIY!
xoxo, G

No comments:

Post a Comment