Wednesday, March 12, 2014

HowTo: Upgrade From Loungewear to Luxewear

Ever had the desire to stay in your pajamas all day, no matter what is happening? That question did not need to be asked since I know what you will say: every day of my life. Contradicting (respectfully) Lauren Conrad's negative approach towards sweats outside the comfort of your home, I have a simple way of converting three 'lazy day' pieces into outfits for school and formal events that make you look like you've never owned a sweatshirt in your life! So no matter where you go you'll be comfortable, but look like you are quite the opposite.

Piece #1 - The Dressy Sweats

H&M, ~$15
 I found this gorgeous pair of "sweatpants" browsing through H&M sale racks (a brave endeavor, I know). I fell in love with the exposed zipper detailing and edgy black & white pattern. I have a constant internal battle between the comfy and the fashionable, and this quenched my thirst for both. But how do you turn this loungewear into luxewear? Keep scrolling.


School/Everyday Outfit

American Eagle (both)
 I kept with the basics to upgrade my dressy sweats. I added a denim button up with stud detailing around the collarbone over top of a basic tank top with a simple pocket. I would tuck in the tank and roll up the sleeves to create a chic/edgier look, but you should customize to your tastes.


Formal Wear Outfit

Jacket - Next, Tank - American Eagle
 Okay, I will admit that I do not own this breathtaking jacket - it is my mothers. But in my defense, I do not even own a black tailored jacket (eek, I know, a closet essential). I thought the zipper details complimented the zippers on the sweats, and I love the buckle latch at the neck. I kept it simple underneath, but I wish I owned a CĂ©line tee to pair with this outfit.


Piece #2 - Chic Sweatshirt

Marks & Spencer U.K.
 I found this on my trip last year to England for 7 pounds, thinking "why not?". I am glad I did, since not only is it comfy (in the sweatshirt way), but it can also be turned into an extremely versatile and stylish piece!


School/Everyday

Jeans - Hollister ~$30 on sale
 I paired a simple pair of dark-wash jeans from Hollister with this shirt, since we want the statement necklace to stand out. If you prefer a scarf in a colour such as seafoam green or a more understated necklace than this one, go for it! I would tuck in the front of the shirt slightly to give it more shape.
Necklace - Aldo $18
 This necklace is a favourite of mine. It goes with just about everything, including the previous outfit and the next. You may have seen it in my last entry (check it out - it is the post below this one).


Formal Wear Outfit

Skirt - Aeropostale
 Believe it or not, I found this tube skirt at Aeropostale in the States last summer. I was not even planning to go into the store, let alone find a perfect skirt! I may have underestimated fashion at Aeropostale. It is very classic, and I think matches perfectly with the rest of the outfit.
Skirt - Garage
If you are looking for a bit more 'oomph' to your ensemble, try this sequined tube skirt from Garage. It adds texture and dimension to an outfit some would consider fairly plain. I prefer the other outfit because I like one statement piece at a time, that being the necklace. But no matter what, always pair this top with a tight skirt. The sweatshirt-structured top needs to be complimented by a figure-hugging bottom to give it shape, otherwise you WILL look like you came right from your bed.

Overall, just remember; you don't have to leave those sweats(& shirts) in the comfort of your home or fitness centre. Put them to good use with the right pieces and accessories. Loungewear can be turned luxe, and now you have proof!
xoxo, G

No comments:

Post a Comment